I am a kabob girl through and through. I love any form of kabob but my ALLLL time favorite is Shami Kabob. There are so many ways to make this and my version (as with most of my food), takes a little from my mom’s, my nani’s, my mother in-law’s, my sister’s and the internet’s recipes and made something magical.
I’ll be completely honest, I have only made these 2 times but the first time was before I started a blog but was planning on it. So luckily, I had written down every step as I made it. The second time I made it, I had to double the recipe and luckily it still turned out well.
Instead of going through each step in detail for the recipe, this post will give you guys some tips, tricks, and lessons I learned. I’m not trying to post the recipe a million times between this page and my Instagram and bore you guys.
Okay first, let me tell you all the ways I eat shamis or ways I PLAN on eating em LOL. As I eat them in these forms, I’ll update this post with pictures.
- Rice & Tomato Chutney
- Rice & Khatti Daal
- Sandwiches: I usually toast my bread, put mayo, mustard and a slice of cheese
- Salad-this is one of my FAVORITE ways
- Wrapped in a puff pastry or egg roll wrapper
- With some ketchup or Man Trap Aioli
Okay, so in making the shamis I learned a few things:
- Make sure your meat mixture is cooled completely when making the kabobs. It makes it much easier for them to stick together and not break.
- Same with when frying them.
- Heat your oil up and keep it on medium ALWAYS. The hotter the oil when you first slide your kabob in, the more likely it is to break (this is what happened with one of the kabobs in my pic LOL)
- Do NOT overcrowd your pan! Leave adequate space to flip them without breaking them.
- Don’t use too much oil. You don’t need it.
- The meat is already cooked, so you don’t need to cook it too much. You just want to add a nice crispiness to it.
Shamis are a Ramadan staple in our home! They’re so convenient for suhoor! Also a great treat for a toddler. I really hope that you enjoy this recipe, please let me know what you think!
Click here for the recipe.
Don’t forget to follow me on Instagram and send us pictures when you make any of our recipes! We love to see your version!